© Frederic Lagrange
Chilean Tomato-and-Onion Salad
- TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 8
This juicy, crunchy and slightly spicy salad combines tomatoes (which are ubiquitous in Chile) with sweet onions, cilantro and jalapeños. It's terrific alongside rich meat like a leg of lamb.
- 1 large sweet onion, very thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons coarsely chopped cilantro
- 1/2 jalapeño, seeded and very finely chopped
- 8 medium tomatoes (about 6 ounces each), cored and cut into 8 wedges each
- In a medium bowl, toss the onion with the vinegar and season with salt and pepper. Let the onion stand for 15 minutes, tossing a few times.
- In a small bowl, combine the olive oil, cilantro and jalapeño and season with salt and pepper. Arrange the tomatoes on a platter and season with salt and pepper. Scatter the onions over the tomatoes, drizzle with the dressing and serve.