- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 medium red onion, finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 2 jalapeños, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 habanero, seeded and thinly sliced
- 2 cups dry white wine
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 pounds black mussels, scrubbed and debearded
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- Green Olive Crostini, for serving
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil. Add the garlic, onion, bell pepper, jalapeños and habanero. Cook over moderately high heat, stirring occasionally, until the onion is golden, about 5 minutes. Add the wine and boil over high heat for 1 minute. Add the tomato sauce, season with salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Add the mussels, cover and cook, shaking the pot a few times until the mussels open, about 5 minutes; discard any that don't open. Divide the mussels and broth among 8 bowls; sprinkle with scallions and serve.
Because good sparkling wine cuts through heat, it's an ideal pairing with spicy foods.