Chile-Spiced Skirt Steak Tacos
- TOTAL TIME: 35 MIN Plus 2 hr marinating
- SERVINGS: Makes 12 tacos
In 2006, three brothersJesse, Brian and David Vendleystarted hawking homemade tacos from a cart on the streets of Soho in Manhattan. In 2009, the trio opened Calexico in Brooklyn. The secret to their success: superfresh fillings like the pico de gallo in these carne asada (steak) tacos.
- 2 teaspoons sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon ancho chile powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle chile powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 pounds skirt steak, cut into 5-inch strips
- 12 corn tortillas, warmed
- Pico de Gallo, Avocado Salsa and shredded cabbage, for serving
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the paprika, ancho powder, garlic powder, onion powder, sugar, chipotle, cumin, coriander, salt and pepper. Add the lime juice and oil and shake the bag to blend. Add the steak and seal the bag. Let the steak stand at room temperature for 2 hours.
- Light a grill or preheat a grill pan. Grill the steak over moderately high heat, turning twice, until lightly charred on the outside and medium-rare within, about 10 minutes. Transfer the steak to a work surface and let rest for 10 minutes. Thinly slice the steak and serve with tortillas, Pico de Gallo, Avocado Salsa and cabbage.
Spicy California red blend.