- 1/2 cup hazelnuts
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons water
- 6 dried Calimyrna figs, 4 cut into 1/4-inch dice and 2 quartered
- One 10-ounce head of chicory, torn into bite-size pieces (10 cups)
- 1/4 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 ounces aged pecorino cheese, preferably Sardinian
How to make this recipe
Preheat the oven to 350°. In a pie pan, toast the hazelnuts in the oven until browned, about 10 minutes. Transfer the nuts to a kitchen towel and rub well to remove the skins. Coarsely chop the nuts.
In a medium skillet, combine the vinegar, water and diced figs and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer over low heat until 1 tablespoon of liquid remains, about 3 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a large bowl, toss the chicory with the hazelnuts, parsley leaves and quartered figs.
Whisk the olive oil into the fig mixture in the skillet and bring to a simmer. Season with salt and pepper. Pour the hot dressing over the salad and toss well. Shave the pecorino on top, toss again and serve.