Chicory and Endive Salad with Spiced Pistachios
- TOTAL TIME: 35 MIN
- SERVINGS: 6
The Good News Chef Jan Birnbaum makes this piquant salad with two kinds of Belgian endive and chicory, which is rich in potassium and magnesium, then adds crunch with spiced pistachios, a cholesterol-free source of monounsaturated fats. "This salad is a healthy alternative to the creamy Caesar salads people expect at a steak house," he says.
- 1 tablespoon hazelnut oil
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- One 10-ounce head of radicchio, quartered
- 1/4 cup shelled unsalted pistachios
- Ground cumin
- Cayenne pepper
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large shallot, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- One 6-ounce head of chicory, cut into bite-size pieces (6 cups)
- 1 red Belgian endive, thinly sliced crosswise
- 1 yellow Belgian endive, thinly sliced crosswise
- 1 tablespoon chopped tarragon
- Preheat the oven to 375°. In a shallow dish, mix the hazelnut oil with the sherry vinegar. Add the radicchio and let marinate for 10 minutes, turning often.
- Scatter the pistachios on a rimmed baking sheet and sprinkle with a pinch each of salt, sugar, cumin and cayenne. Bake until toasted, about 5 minutes.
- Light a grill. Season the radicchio with salt and pepper and grill over high heat until lightly charred on 2 sides, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer to a work surface and let cool slightly. Cut the radicchio into bite-size pieces.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil. Add the shallot and cook over moderate heat until softened, about 4 minutes. Add the balsamic vinegar and bring to a boil over moderate heat. Add the chicory and cook, stirring occasionally, until just tender, about 5 minutes. Add the radicchio, red and yellow endives and chopped tarragon and toss well. Season with salt and pepper. Mound the salad on plates, garnish with the spiced pistachios and serve.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.