Chickpeas with Tomatoes and Carrots
- ACTIVE: 20 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 3 HRS Plus overnight soaking
- SERVINGS: 8
- 1 cup dried chickpeas, soaked overnight and drained
- 2 large garlic cloves, 1 thinly sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 carrots, halved lengthwise and sliced crosswise 1/2 inch thick
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup strained tomatoes or plain tomato sauce
- 3 tablespoons chopped parsley
- Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Freshly ground black pepper
- In a large saucepan, cover the chickpeas with 2 quarts of water. Add the whole garlic clove and bay leaf and bring to a boil. Simmer over low heat, stirring occasionally, until the chickpeas are tender, about 2 hours. Add 1/2 teaspoon of salt and simmer for 10 minutes longer. Drain the chickpeas and discard the bay leaf and garlic clove.
- In a large, deep skillet, heat the olive oil. Add the carrots, onion and sliced garlic, cover and cook over moderately low heat, stirring occasionally, until the carrots are tender, about 10 minutes. Add the crushed red pepper and wine and boil over moderately high heat until the wine has reduced by half, about 4 minutes. Add the strained tomatoes and simmer over moderate heat for 5 minutes. Add 2 cups of cold water and the drained chickpeas and simmer over moderate heat until slightly thickened, about 15 minutes. Add the parsley, lemon zest and lemon juice and season with salt and black pepper. Serve at room temperature.
The dish can be covered and refrigerated overnight. Serve chilled or at room temperature.Notes
One serving 261 cal, 22 gm carb, 16 gm fat, 2 gm sat fat, 6 gm protein, 6 gm fiber.