- 8 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 jalapeños, chopped
- One 2-inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3 onions, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 3/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 cups canned diced tomatoes
- Two 15-ounce cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons cilantro leaves
How to make this recipe
- In a mini food processor, combine the garlic, jalapeños and ginger and process to a paste. In a large nonstick skillet, heat the oil. Add the onions and cook over moderately high heat until sizzling, about 3 minutes. Reduce the heat to moderate and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are browned, about 7 minutes. Add the garlic paste and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add the cumin, coriander and cayenne and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the tomatoes and simmer over moderate heat until thickened, about 6 minutes. Add the chickpeas and water and simmer until the chickpeas are flavored with the gravy, about 8 minutes. Season the chickpeas with salt, garnish with the cilantro and serve.
Yogurt and naan.
Concentrated, fruity Italian rosato.