- 6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, plus one 2-inch Parmigiano-Reggiano rind
- Two 15-ounce cans chickpeas, drained
- 1 bunch Swiss chard (3/4 pound), stems discarded and leaves cut into 1-inch ribbons
- 1/4 cup plus 1 1/2 tablespoons store-bought sun-dried-tomato pesto
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- In a medium soup pot, bring the broth to a simmer with the cheese rind and the chickpeas. Cook over low heat until the broth is flavorful, about 10 minutes; discard the rind. Add the Swiss chard and simmer until wilted, about 4 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in 1/4 cup of the sun-dried-tomato pesto. Season the soup with salt and pepper. Ladle into bowls and sprinkle with the grated cheese. Garnish each bowl with a dollop of the remaining pesto and serve.
Spicy, medium-bodied Tuscan red.