- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 5 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- One 28-ounce can whole peeled Italian tomatoes, crushed by hand
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Kosher salt
- One 8-ounce bunch of Tuscan kale, stemmed and chopped
- Two 15-ounce cans chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- Torn basil and marjoram leaves, for garnish
- Finely grated Pecorino Romano, for serving
How to make this recipe
In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil over low heat. Add the garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until very fragrant but not browned, about 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes, fennel seeds, crushed red pepper and a generous pinch of salt. Cook over moderately low heat, stirring occasionally, until the tomatoes break down and the sauce is thickened, about 25 minutes.
Stir the kale into the sauce and cook over moderately low heat, stirring occasionally, until wilted, about 3 minutes. Stir in the chickpeas and cook until heated through, about 3 minutes. Season with salt. Spoon into bowls and garnish with torn basil and marjoram leaves. Top with finely grated pecorino and serve hot.