Chickpea Vegetable Stew
- TOTAL TIME:
- SERVINGS: 4
"The dish is rich in texture and full of healthy goodness," chef Cathal Armstrong says about this hearty vegetable stew. Armstrong adds heft to the coconut milk broth with quick-cooking fingerling potatoes, and subtle heat with harissa, a Tunisian chile paste.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup frozen pearl onions, thawed and halved
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 pound fingerling potatoes, halved lengthwise
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped peeled fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon harissa
- 3 cups chicken stock or low-sodium broth
- One 15-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 3/4 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced cilantro
- Toasted bread, for serving
- In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil. Add the onions and bell pepper and cook over moderately high heat, stirring, until browned, about 5 minutes. Add the potatoes, garlic, ginger and harissa and cook, stirring, until the harissa darkens, about 2 minutes. Add the stock and chickpeas and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer over moderately low heat until the potatoes are tender, 12 to 14 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk and bring to a simmer. Stir in the lemon juice and season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle the stew with the cilantro and serve with toasted bread.