- 1 cup giardiniera (stem the pepperoncini), plus 2 tablespoons pickling liquid from the jar (see Note)
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons capers, drained
- 1 small garlic clove, finely chopped
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Two 15-ounce cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 pound sliced Genoa salami, halved and thinly sliced crosswise
- 1/4 pound sliced provolone cheese, halved and thinly sliced crosswise
- 1 small head frisée (about 4 ounces), chopped
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced basil leaves
How to make this recipe
In a food processor, combine the <em>giardiniera</em> vegetables with the pickling liquid, olive oil, capers and garlic and pulse until finely chopped. Season the dressing with salt and pepper.
In a large bowl, toss the chickpeas, salami, provolone, frisée and basil. Add the <em>giardiniera</em> dressing, toss to coat and serve.
The dressing can be refrigerated for up to 3 days. the dressed salad can be refrigerated for up to 2 hours.
Giardiniera is available at supermarkets and Italian markets.