- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Two 15-ounce cans chickpeas, drained
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- Carrot, zucchini or cucumber rounds, sliced 1/4 inch thick, for serving
In a small skillet, toast the cumin seeds over moderate heat, shaking the pan frequently, until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add the olive oil and cook over low heat for 30 seconds. Transfer the cumin oil to a bowl and let cool.
In a food processor, puree the chickpeas, garlic and lemon juice; season with salt. With the machine on, gradually pour in all but 2 tablespoons of the cumin oil, leaving most of the seeds in the bowl; puree until smooth. Add the cilantro and pulse just until combined. Spoon the chickpea puree into a serving bowl. Drizzle with the reserved cumin oil and seeds; serve with the vegetables.