- 1 cup chickpea flour
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1/4 cup canned chickpeas, chopped
- 1/2 cup pitted Niçoise olives, finely chopped
- 1/4 preserved lemon, peel only, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon sambal oelek or other Asian chile paste
- 1/2 teaspoon honey
- 1 tablespoon chopped mint
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Vegetable oil, for frying
How to make this recipe
Line an 8-inch square baking pan with plastic wrap. In a medium saucepan, whisk the chickpea flour with the water until smooth. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until thick, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat. Add the cheese and chickpeas, stir to combine and season with salt. Spread the mixture in the prepared pan in an even layer. Freeze until solid, about 1 hour.
Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the olives with the preserved lemon peel, lemon juice, <em>sambal</em>, honey, mint and olive oil. Set the tapenade aside.
Unmold the chickpea square, discard the plastic and cut into 1- to 1 1/2-inch squares. In a large skillet, heat 1/2 inch of vegetable oil until shimmering. Cook the chickpea fritters in batches over high heat until golden and crisp, about 5 minutes. Drain the fritters on paper towels, sprinkle with salt and serve with the tapenade.