- 3/4 cup chickpea flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 small green chile, seeded and minced
- 2 tablespoons minced cilantro
- 2 teaspoons finely grated peeled fresh ginger
- 3/4 cup water
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Pineapple-Mint Relish
How to make this recipe
- Preheat the oven to 250°. In a medium bowl, combine the chickpea flour with the salt, fennel seeds, caraway, turmeric, black pepper, crushed red pepper and baking soda. In another bowl, combine the onion, shallot, garlic, chile, cilantro and ginger with the water, then add to the dry ingredients and stir just until moistened but still lumpy.
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan. Skim off the foam, then pour the clear melted butter into a measuring cup, stopping when you reach the milky residue.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the butter in a very large nonstick skillet. Add scant tablespoonfuls of the batter 1/2 inch apart and cook over moderately high heat until golden on the bottom, 1 minute. Flip the blinis and cook until set, 1 minute longer. Transfer to a large baking sheet in a single layer and keep warm in the oven. Repeat with the remaining batter, brushing the skillet with butter between batches. Serve with the pineapple relish.