- 1 1/2 cups dried chickpeas (3/4 pound), soaked overnight and drained
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 1 large Spanish onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 quarts water
- 1 1/2 pounds spinach, stemmed and coarsely chopped
- In a large saucepan, cover the chickpeas with 3 inches of water and bring to a boil. Cover partially and cook over moderately low heat until the chickpeas are tender, about 1 hour; drain.
- Wipe out the saucepan used to cook the chickpeas and add 1/4 cup of the olive oil. Add the onion and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, about 8 minutes. Add the garlic, bay leaves and crushed red pepper and cook for 2 minutes. Add the water and bring to a boil. Add the chickpeas and cook over moderate heat until very tender, about 10 minutes. Add the spinach and cook until wilted, about 2 minutes. Remove the bay leaves.
- In a blender, puree the soup in batches until smooth or puree it using an immersion blender. Season with salt. Serve in soup plates; drizzle with olive oil.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.