Chickpea and Red Pepper Medley
- SERVINGS: 4
The garlic, cooked whole, is treated as a vegetable rather than as a seasoning.
- 3 cups canned chickpeas in their liquid
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 6 whole garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 large red bell peppers, cut into 2-by- 1/8 -inch strips
- 2 medium jalape&n#241;os, seeded and minced
- Drain the chickpeas, reserving about 1 cup of the liquid. In a blender or food processor, puree 1 cup of the chickpeas with the reserved liquid until smooth.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet. Add the onion and garlic and cook over moderately high heat, stirring frequently, until the onion is translucent and the garlic is golden, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the turmeric. Add the chickpea puree, bell peppers and jalapeños and season with 1 teaspoon salt. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, covered, for 5 minutes. Add the remaining chickpeas, cover and simmer until the peppers are just tender, about 5 minutes more. If the stew is too thick, stir in a little water. Season with salt and serve.
Make Ahead The chickpea medley can be refrigerated for 1 day. Rewarm before serving, stirring in a little water to thin it. Notes One Serving Calories 287 kcal, Protein 13 gm, Carbohydrate 46 gm, Cholesterol 0, Total Fat 6.9 gm, Saturated Fat .8 gm.