Chickpea and Grilled Scallion Salad
- TOTAL TIME: 20 MIN
- SERVINGS: 6
Tommy Habetz's simple salad is a great accompaniment to grilled or stewed meats like lamb or beef.
More Salad Recipes
- 1/4 cup sweet sherry
- 6 scallions
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Two 19-ounce cans chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Light a grill or preheat a grill pan. In a small saucepan, bring the sherry to a boil. Reduce the heat to moderate and simmer until syrupy, about 5 minutes. Brush the scallions with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill the scallions over a hot fire until nicely charred, about 3 minutes. Let cool slightly, then cut the scallions on the bias into 1/2-inch lengths.
- In a large bowl, combine the 1/4 cup of olive oil with the garlic and lemon juice and season with salt and pepper. Add the chickpeas, chopped parsley and grilled scallions and toss. Season with salt and pepper and drizzle with the sherry syrup. Serve the salad at room temperature or lightly chilled.
Make AheadThe salad can be refrigerated overnight.