- 1/2 cup walnuts (2 ounces)
- Eight 4-ounce skinless chicken thighs on the bone, visible fat trimmed
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 1 1/4 cups low-sodium nonfat chicken broth
- 1/2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large Spanish onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons pomegranate molasses (see Note)
- 2 1/2 teaspoons light brown sugar
- Pinch of saffron threads
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground cumin seeds
- Seeds from 1/2 pomegranate
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped cilantro
- In a food processor, finely grind the walnuts; do not grind to a paste.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Lightly grease a large nonstick skillet with olive oil cooking spray, and heat. Add the chicken thighs and cook over moderate heat until browned, about 5 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate.
- Add the chicken broth to the skillet and bring to a boil over high heat, scraping up any browned bits on the bottom. Remove from the heat.
- Heat the olive oil in a large enameled cast-iron casserole. Add the onion, cover and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until softened and just starting to brown, about 20 minutes. Uncover and cook, stirring, until browned, about 10 minutes. Add the ground walnuts, pomegranate molasses, brown sugar, saffron, cumin and the chicken broth and bring to a boil. Simmer over low heat for 15 minutes. Add the chicken thighs, cover and simmer until cooked through and tender, about 15 minutes.
- Transfer the chicken to a plate and simmer the sauce over moderate heat until slightly thickened, about 2 minutes. Return the chicken to the sauce, turn to coat and season with salt and pepper. Transfer the chicken to plates; spoon the sauce on top. Sprinkle with the pomegranate seeds and cilantro and serve.
Pomegranate molasses is available at Middle Eastern groceries.
One Serving Calories 366 kcal, Total Fat 17.4 gm, Saturated Fat 2.6 gm, Protein 31 gm, Carbohydrates 22 gm.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.