- 2 cups plain whole milk yogurt
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon (lightly packed) saffron threads, crumbled
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Two 3 1/2-pound chickens, each cut into eight pieces
- In a bowl, combine the yogurt, lemon juice, garlic, onion, coriander, cumin, salt, pepper, saffron and cinnamon. Stir well to blend.
- Place the chicken pieces in a large glass or ceramic dish and pour the marinade on top. Let marinate for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Light a grill. Cook the chicken pieces over a medium-hot fire, turning often, until lightly charred on both sides and just cooked through, about 10 minutes per side.
Variation To use this marinade for lamb, simply substitute 1 whole butterflied leg of lamb (4 pounds) for the chicken pieces.
The yogurt marinade adds tang to the grilled chicken. Showcase the flavors with a round, ripe California Chardonnay.