Chicken with Mustard Seed and Onion Sauce
- TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
- 5 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons yellow mustard seeds
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon honey
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup chicken stock or canned low-sodium broth
- 1/2 cup créme fraîche or heavy cream
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- All-purpose flour, for dredging
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley or cilantro
- In a medium saucepan, warm 2 tablespoons of the oil over moderate heat. Add the mustard sees and cover the pan. When the seeds begin to pop, remove the pan from the heat and wait until the popping has stopped, about 30 seconds. Uncover the pan; the seeds will be dark gray.
- Return the pan to the heat and add the onion. Cook over moderate heat, stirring, until softened but no browned, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, ginger, turmeric, honey and cayenne and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 3 minutes. Add the chicken stock and boil over high heat until reduced by half, about 5 minutes. Add the créme fraîche and cook over moderately high heat, stirring occasionally, until the sauce lightly coats the back of a spoon, about 4 minutes. Season the sauce with kosher salt and black pepper.
- Remove the tender from each piece of chicken. Cut the chicken breasts in half crosswise and lightly pound all the pieces to an even thickness. Season them with salt and black pepper, then dredge lightly in flour, shaking off the excess.
- In a large skillet, heat the remaining 3 tablespoons of oil. Add the chicken in batches and brown over moderately high heat, about 2 minutes per side. Arrange the chicken on plates or a platter. Spoon the sauce over the top and sprinkle with the parsley. Serve at once.
The refreshing Charles Schleret Gewùrztraminer Herrenweg balances the creamy sauce while supporting the spicy cayenne and musky turmeric flavors.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.