- 4 bone-in chicken breast halves, 8 to 10 ounces each
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 baking potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/4 pound shiitake mushrooms, stemmed, caps sliced
- 2 thyme sprigs
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 Bosc pears, cored and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
How to make this recipe
Preheat the oven to 400°. Season the chicken with salt and pepper. In a large, deep skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil until shimmering. Add the chicken, skin-side down, and cook over moderately high heat, turning once, until browned, about 6 minutes. Transfer to a baking dish. Roast the chicken for 15 minutes, or until the juices run clear when the breasts are pierced.
Meanwhile, in the same skillet, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil until shimmering. Add the onion and cook, stirring, until barely softened, 3 minutes. Add the potatoes, shiitakes and thyme and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes; season with salt and pepper. Add the water, cover and cook until the potatoes are browned, about 7 minutes. Add the pears, cover and cook over moderately low heat until crisp-tender, about 3 minutes longer. Discard the thyme. Transfer the chicken to plates and serve with the hash.
Silky Pinot Noir.