- 4 whole chicken legs, split (2 pounds)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- One 14-ounce can whole tomatoes, drained and finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup oloroso sherry
- 1 bay leaf
- One 3-inch strip of orange zest
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme leaves
- 1 slice of peasant bread, crusts removed and bread cut into 1/2-inch cubes (1/2 cup)
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- 3 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 1 ounce bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- Large pinch of saffron threads
- Small pinch each of aniseeds
- Small pinch of ground cloves
How to make this recipe
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper. In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of the oil. Add the chicken, skin side down, and cook over moderately high heat until browned, 4 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate.
- Add the onion to the skillet and cook over moderate heat until softened, 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes and cook over moderately high heat until very thick, 5 minutes. Add the broth, sherry, bay leaf, orange zest and thyme and bring to a boil. Add the chicken, cover and simmer over low heat for 30 minutes, turning once.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350°. Toast the bread and almonds on a baking sheet, about 8 minutes.
- In a skillet, heat the remaining 1/2 tablespoon of oil. Add the garlic and cook over moderate heat until golden, 3 minutes. Transfer to a food processor with the bread and almonds, the chocolate, parsley, cinnamon, saffron, aniseeds and cloves. Process to a paste.
- Stir the picada into the sauce and simmer over low heat for 15 minutes. Discard the bay leaf and orange zest, season with salt and pepper and serve.
Aromatic, berry-rich Catalan Garnacha blend.