- 8 chicken thighs, about 6 ounces each
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- All-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 ounces cremini mushrooms, quartered
- 1 1/2 cups Chardonnay
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 thyme sprigs
- 6 ounces frozen artichoke hearts, thawed and squeezed
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock, preferably homemade
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
How to make this recipe
Preheat the oven to 350°. Season the chicken with salt and pepper and dust with the flour, tapping off the excess. In a large deep skillet or shallow flameproof casserole, melt the butter in the oil. Add the chicken and cook over high heat, turning once, until deeply browned and crusty 12 to 14 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a large plate and pour off all but 1 tablespoon of the fat.
Add the onion and mushrooms and cook over low heat until softened, 5 minutes. Add the wine and cook over high heat until reduced by half, 5 minutes. Add the bay, thyme, artichokes and stock and bring to a boil. Return the chicken to the pan. Transfer to the oven and braise until the meat is tender, 45 minutes longer.
Return the pan to high heat, stir in the cream and boil until the liquid is slightly reduced, about 5 minutes. If desired, remove the bay leaf and thyme sprigs before serving.
Noodles, polenta or mashed potato.