- SERVINGS: 4
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons vegetable shortening, chilled
- 3/4 cup grated sharp Cheddar cheese (2 ounces)
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup julienned country ham or prosciutto (1 ounce)
- 4 scallions, white and light green parts only, cut into 1-inch lengths
- 2 cups small broccoli florets
- 1 medium carrot, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced crosswise
- 1 tablespoon chopped thyme leaves
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup dry sherry
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Preheat the oven to 450°. In a bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder and salt. With a pastry blender, cut in the shortening until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Add the cheese; toss to coat. Stir in the buttermilk until the dough comes together.
- 2. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface and pat it into a 1/2 -inch thickness. Dip a 3-inch round biscuit cutter in flour and cut out 8 biscuits. Transfer the biscuits to a baking sheet and bake for 10 to 12 minutes, or until golden brown.
- In a large, deep skillet, melt the butter. Add the chicken, season with salt and pepper and cook over moderately high heat until golden brown, about 8 minutes; transfer to a plate. Add the ham to the skillet and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the scallions, broccoli and carrot, cover and cook over low heat until the broccoli is bright green, 3 minutes.
- Return the chicken to the skillet and add the thyme leaves, cayenne and a pinch of salt and pepper. Cook over moderate heat, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the sherry and simmer until almost evaporated, about 2 minutes. Add the cream and simmer until thickened slightly, about 5 minutes; season with salt and pepper.
- Split the biscuits and set 2 bottoms on each plate. Spoon the chicken and sauce over the biscuit bottoms, add the tops and serve.
The combination of cheese, cream and chicken will complement an equally rich, creamy-textured Chardonnay-based wine with roundness and depth. Choose an example that isn't too fruity or oaky.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.