- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- One 14 1/2-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon ground oregano
- 1 cup cooked chicken, cubed or shredded
- Kosher or sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Fried tortilla strips or crushed tortilla chips, for serving
- Chopped fresh cilantro, for serving
- Lime wedges, for serving
How to make this recipe
In a stockpot, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Stir in the onion and garlic and cook until onions are soft and translucent, about 3 minutes.
Stir in canned tomatoes (including the juice), chicken stock, ground cumin, smoked paprika, ground oregano and cooked chicken. Bring to a gentle boil, and then reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
Season with salt and pepper to taste and top with tortilla strips and cilantro. Serve with lime wedges.