- 2 1/4 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 5 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 cup plain whole-milk yogurt
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil mixed with 1 tablespoon Chinese mustard
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground mace
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Vegetable oil, for the grill
- Lemon wedges, thinly sliced red onion and chopped cilantro, for serving
- Cucumber Raita
How to make this recipe
Soak six 12-inch bamboo skewers in warm water for 30 minutes. Thread the chicken onto the skewers and set in a shallow glass baking dish.
On a cutting board, use the side of a large knife to mash the garlic, ginger and salt to a paste. In a bowl, whisk the paste with the yogurt, mustard oil, lemon juice, cumin, mace, nutmeg, cardamom, turmeric, cayenne and black pepper. Pour the marinade over the chicken; turn to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 3 to 4 hours, turning occasionally.
Light a grill. Lightly oil the grate. Grill the chicken over a medium-hot fire for about 4 minutes per side, or until it is cooked through and golden. Serve with the lemon wedges, red onion, cilantro and Cucumber Raita.