- 1/3 cup yellow miso
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 1/4 cup Asian fish sauce
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Korean red chile powder (gochugaru); see Note
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 8 large boneless chicken thighs, with skin
- 1 medium onion, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- Vegetable oil, for brushing
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- Bibb or Boston lettuce leaves, for serving
How to make this recipe
- In a bowl, whisk together the miso, sugar, sesame oil, fish sauce, vinegar, chile powder, garlic and ginger. Put the chicken and onion in a large, shallow dish, add half of the marinade and turn to coat completely. Cover and refrigerate for 8 to 12 hours. Refrigerate the remaining marinade. Discard the onion.
- Light a grill or preheat a grill pan. Remove the chicken from the marinade and brush with oil. Grill the chicken over moderate heat, turning once, until browned and cooked through, about 10 minutes.
- Stir the scallions into the reserved marinade and brush some on the chicken. Grill for 10 seconds per side, until glazed. Brush a little more marinade on the skin. Serve with lettuce leaves for wrapping.
Gochugaru is available at Asian markets and from TriFood.com.
Spice-inflected Gewürztraminer can overpower some dishes, but not this intensely flavorful chicken.