- 1/3 cup mild tare sauce (see Note)
- 3 tablespoons tamari
- 1 1/2 tablespoons prepared wasabi paste
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken thighs (about 5 ounces each)
- 3 scallions, white and tender green parts only, cut into 1-inch lengths
- Extra-virgin olive oil
How to make this recipe
- In a small bowl, whisk the tare sauce with the tamari and wasabi.
- Trim the chicken thighs of visible fat and cut into 1-inch pieces. Thread 2 pieces of chicken onto a skewer, followed by 1 piece of scallion and 2 more pieces of chicken. Repeat to skewer the remaining chicken and scallions. You should have 8 skewers.
- Light a grill or preheat a grill pan. Brush the yakitori with olive oil and season with salt. Grill over high heat, turning once, until lightly browned and nearly cooked through, about 5 minutes. Brush the yakitori generously with the tare glaze and grill, turning and brushing, until mahogany-colored, about 2 minutes longer. Serve right away.
The tare glaze can be refrigerated for up to 1 week.
Tare is a Japanese dipping sauce made primarily from soy sauce. It is available on amazon.com.
Light-bodied Valpolicella from Italy’s Veneto region tends to have fresh red-cherry flavor, making it a nice match for the lightly sweet glaze here.