- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons grated ginger
- 2 teaspoons toasted white sesame seeds
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 4 bone-in chicken pieces, with skin (about 2 pounds), either thighs or drumsticks or a mixture
How to make this recipe
- In a large bowl, combine the soy sauce, sugar, ginger, sesame seeds, scallions, garlic and sesame oil. Add the chicken pieces and marinate at least 1 hour and up to 8 hours.
- Light a grill or preheat a grill pan. Grill the chicken over moderately high heat, turning occasionally, until the chicken is lightly charred and cooked through, about 20 to 25 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a work surface and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, bring the teriyaki marinade to a boil. Cook for 1 minute. Serve the chicken with the teriyaki sauce on the side.
The marinated chicken can be kept in the refrigerator for up to 8 hours before cooking. Bring to room temperature before grilling.