Chicken Tagine with Sweet Potatoes
- ACTIVE: 30 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR 25 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
Although lamb is the most common meat tagine, there are numerous versions made with chicken. You can just as easily substitute dates or pitted prunes for the sweet potatoes used here.
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- One 4-pound chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 pound white or yellow sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced crosswise 1/8 inch thick
- 2 large tomatoes, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1/2 cup water
- In a large enameled cast-iron casserole, heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Season the chicken with salt and pepper and cook over moderately high heat until lightly browned, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer the chicken to a plate.
- Add the remaining 3 tablespoons of olive oil to the casserole along with the onion, ginger, cinnamon and 1 teaspoon of freshly ground pepper. Cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until the onion is softened, about 7 minutes. Arrange the chicken pieces in the casserole in an even layer. Spread the sweet potato slices over the chicken and season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle evenly with the tomatoes, garlic and parsley. Add the water to the casserole and bring to a simmer. Cover and cook the tagine over low heat until the chicken and sweet potatoes are tender, about 50 minutes.
- Using a spatula, carefully transfer the sweet potatoes to a large bowl. Add the chicken pieces to the bowl and keep warm. Boil the sauce over high heat until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Pour the sauce over the chicken and sweet potatoes and serve.
The lush texture, warm spices and acidic tomatoes call for a smooth, powerfully flavored, fruity white, such as a Viognier or a spicy, fruity Moroccan red.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.