- 3/4 cup chopped pitted mixed olives
- 8 oil-packed anchovy fillets
- 2 dried apricots, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons small capers, rinsed
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Four 6-ounce skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- Kosher salt
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups cremini mushrooms, chopped
- 1/2 small onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- Chopped parsley and chives, for garnish
How to make this recipe
In a food processor, pulse the olives with the anchovies, apricots, garlic, capers and 2 tablespoons of the olive oil until the tapenade is a coarse puree.
Make a horizontal incision in each piece of chicken to form a pocket. Spoon the tapenade into each pocket and press gently to close. Season the chicken breasts on both sides with salt and pepper.
In a large skillet, melt 2 tablespoons of the butter in the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Add the chicken breasts, cover and cook over moderate heat, flipping once, until golden brown, about 6 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a plate and cover with aluminum foil.
In the same skillet, add the mushrooms and onion and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until the onion is translucent, about 2 minutes. Add the wine and cook, scraping up the brown bits in the pan, until the liquid is slightly reduced, about 2 minutes more. Return the chicken to the pan and simmer until warmed through, about 2 minutes. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter to the sauce and season with salt and pepper. Transfer the chicken breasts to 4 plates and spoon the sauce over the top. Garnish with parsley and chives and serve.