- 3 red or yellow bell peppers, or a mixture
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves (about 6 ounces each)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 24 basil leaves
How to make this recipe
- Preheat the oven to 450°. Rub the bell peppers with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil and put them on a baking sheet. Roast the peppers for about 40 minutes, turning occasionally, until charred and very soft. Transfer the peppers to a bowl to cool, then core, seed and peel. Cut the peppers into 1-by-3-inch strips.
- Using a sharp, thin knife, cut a horizontal pocket in each chicken breast half. Season the pockets with salt and pepper and sprinkle 1 tablespoon of the Parmesan in each. Tuck the basil leaves and roasted peppers into the pockets. Press the chicken breasts lightly to close.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in each of 2 medium skillets. Season the chicken breasts with salt and pepper, add 4 to each skillet and cook over moderately high heat until browned on both sides, 7 to 8 minutes. Serve the chicken warm or at room temperature.
The recipe can be prepared through Step 2 and refrigerated overnight. Return the chicken to room temperature before cooking.
A fruity, fragrant red Chinon with fresh acidity and up-front fruit flavors will stand up to the sweet pepper and salty Parmesan stuffing.