© Mikkel Vang
Chicken Soup with Whole-Wheat Dumplings
- ACTIVE: 25 MIN
- TOTAL TIME:
- SERVINGS: 6
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 3/4 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup whole-wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons skim milk
- 1 large egg
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 large carrot, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 large parsnip, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 small butternut squash—peeled, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 large turnip, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 leek, white and tender green parts only, halved lengthwise and cut into 1-inch pieces
- In a large pot, bring the chicken stock to a simmer. Add the chicken breasts and simmer over moderate heat until just cooked through, about 20 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a plate to cool slightly, then pull into shreds.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, mix the flours with the Parmesan, milk and egg. Season with 1/4 teaspoon of salt and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper. Transfer to a pastry bag fitted with a 1/4-inch round tip.
- Add the carrot, parsnip, squash and turnip to the stock and season with salt and pepper. Cover partially and cook over moderate heat until the vegetables are just tender, about 10 minutes. Add the leek and cook until tender. Holding the pastry bag in 1 hand and a table knife in the other, cut 1-inch lengths of the dumpling dough into the simmering soup. When all of the dough has been added, stir gently and cook until tender, about 2 minutes. Add the shredded chicken, cook until heated through and serve.
NotesOne Serving 208 calories, 5.4 gm total fat, 2.3 gm saturated fat, 22 gm carb.