Chicken Soup with Passatelli
- ACTIVE: 15 MIN
- TOTAL TIME:
- SERVINGS: 6
This soothing soup with Parmesan dumplings (passatelli) was a Sunday staple at Fabio Trabocchi's home. He would compete with his father to see who made the best chicken stock.
- 2 large eggs
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan
- 3/4 cup fresh bread crumbs
- Finely grated zest of 1 small lemon
- Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 quarts chicken stock
- In a bowl, beat the eggs with the yolk. Stir in the cheese, bread crumbs, lemon zest, nutmeg and butter. Cover the dough; chill until firm. Bring the dough to room temperature before cooking.
- In a large saucepan, bring the stock to a boil. Season with salt and reduce the heat so the stock simmers.
- Press one-third of the passatelli dough at a time through a ricer, cutting it in 1/2-inch lengths over the soup. Simmer until all of the passatelli surface, about 1 minute. Serve the soup in wide bowls.
Make AheadThe passatelli dough can be refrigerated overnight.