- 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon jasmine rice, rinsed
- 4 cups water
- One 3-inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon Asian fish sauce
- Pinch each of salt and sugar
- 1/2 cup shredded cooked chicken
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced crosswise
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped cilantro
How to make this recipe
- In a medium saucepan, cover the rice with the water. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to low and simmer until the rice is tender and porridgelike, about 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cut the piece of ginger into slivers: Thinly slice the ginger crosswise; stack the slices, removing the bottom rounded slice, so the stack is stable and easy to work with; cut the slices lengthwise into thin slivers.
- Add the chicken stock, fish sauce, salt and sugar to the rice, bring to a simmer and continue cooking over low heat for 10 minutes. Stir in half of the ginger and simmer for 10 minutes longer.
- Ladle the soup into shallow bowls, garnish with the shredded chicken, sliced scallions, chopped cilantro and the remaining slivered ginger and serve.
The recipe can be made through Step 3 and refrigerated overnight. When reheating, add extra stock to adjust the consistency.
One Serving 128 cal, 3 gm fat, 0.2 gm saturated fat, 16 gm carb, 0.6 gm fiber.