- 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon jasmine rice, rinsed
- 4 cups water
- One 3-inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon Asian fish sauce
- Pinch each of salt and sugar
- 1/2 cup shredded cooked chicken
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced crosswise
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped cilantro
How to make this recipe
In a medium saucepan, cover the rice with the water. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to low and simmer until the rice is tender and porridgelike, about 25 minutes.
Meanwhile, cut the piece of ginger into slivers: Thinly slice the ginger crosswise; stack the slices, removing the bottom rounded slice, so the stack is stable and easy to work with; cut the slices lengthwise into thin slivers.
Add the chicken stock, fish sauce, salt and sugar to the rice, bring to a simmer and continue cooking over low heat for 10 minutes. Stir in half of the ginger and simmer for 10 minutes longer.
Ladle the soup into shallow bowls, garnish with the shredded chicken, sliced scallions, chopped cilantro and the remaining slivered ginger and serve.
The recipe can be made through Step 3 and refrigerated overnight. When reheating, add extra stock to adjust the consistency.
One Serving 128 cal, 3 gm fat, 0.2 gm saturated fat, 16 gm carb, 0.6 gm fiber.