© Quentin Bacon
Chicken Smothered in Gravy
- ACTIVE: 30 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 45 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
The Good News This satisfying riff on smothered pork chops calls for skinless chicken drumsticks, which have only slightly more fat than breasts, as well as more zinc and iron and tons more flavor.
- 2 1/2 tablespoons canola oil
- Eight 3-ounce skinless chicken drumsticks
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 ounce bacon (1 thick slice) cut crosswise into 1/4-inch strips
- 1 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, thinly sliced
- 1 large tomatopeeled, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- 1 cup 2-percent milk
- 1/4 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 parsley sprigs plus 2 teaspoons chopped parsley
- Preheat the oven to 375°. In an ovenproof nonstick skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil. Season the chicken with salt and pepper and add to the pan. Cook over moderately high heat until browned all over, 8 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a plate.
- Add the bacon to the skillet and cook, stirring, until the fat is rendered, 2 minutes. Drain off the fat. Add the remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons of oil to the skillet and stir in the flour until incorporated. Add the onion and garlic and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until slightly softened, 3 minutes. Add the tomato and tomato paste and cook, stirring, until the tomato softens slightly, 5 minutes. Add the milk and broth and bring to a boil, stirring until slightly thickened, 3 minutes. Return the chicken and any accumulated juices to the skillet; add the parsley sprigs.
- Cover the chicken and braise in the oven for 20 minutes, until the meat is cooked through. Using tongs, transfer the chicken to a platter and discard the parsley sprigs.
- Return the skillet to moderate heat and cook the gravy, whisking constantly, until smooth, about 2 minutes. Whisk in the chopped parsley, pour the gravy over the chicken legs and serve.
Notes One Serving 326 cal, 9 gm carb, 19 gm fat, 3.9 gm sat fat, 29 gm protein, 1 gm fiber.