© Quentin Bacon
Chicken Smothered in Gravy
- ACTIVE: 30 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 45 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
- 2 1/2 tablespoons canola oil
- Eight 3-ounce skinless chicken drumsticks
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 ounce bacon (1 thick slice) cut crosswise into 1/4-inch strips
- 1 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, thinly sliced
- 1 large tomatopeeled, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- 1 cup 2-percent milk
- 1/4 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 parsley sprigs plus 2 teaspoons chopped parsley
- Preheat the oven to 375°. In an ovenproof nonstick skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil. Season the chicken with salt and pepper and add to the pan. Cook over moderately high heat until browned all over, 8 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a plate.
- Add the bacon to the skillet and cook, stirring, until the fat is rendered, 2 minutes. Drain off the fat. Add the remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons of oil to the skillet and stir in the flour until incorporated. Add the onion and garlic and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until slightly softened, 3 minutes. Add the tomato and tomato paste and cook, stirring, until the tomato softens slightly, 5 minutes. Add the milk and broth and bring to a boil, stirring until slightly thickened, 3 minutes. Return the chicken and any accumulated juices to the skillet; add the parsley sprigs.
- Cover the chicken and braise in the oven for 20 minutes, until the meat is cooked through. Using tongs, transfer the chicken to a platter and discard the parsley sprigs.
- Return the skillet to moderate heat and cook the gravy, whisking constantly, until smooth, about 2 minutes. Whisk in the chopped parsley, pour the gravy over the chicken legs and serve.
NotesOne Serving 326 cal, 9 gm carb, 19 gm fat, 3.9 gm sat fat, 29 gm protein, 1 gm fiber.