Chicken Simmered in Spiced Yogurt
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR
- SERVINGS: 4
Many of the spices are left whole in this recipe, so push them to the side of the plate as you find them.
Plus: More Chicken Recipes and Tips
- 1/2 cup roasted cashews, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 6 cardamom pods
- 1 cinnamon stick, broken
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 2 tablespoons Ginger Paste
- 2 tablespoons Garlic Paste
- 1/2 cup Onion Paste
- 1 long hot green chile, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 medium tomato, coarsely chopped
- 4 whole chicken legs, separated into drumsticks and thighs and skinned
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1/8 teaspoon saffron threads
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 cups plain low-fat yogurt
- In a mini food processor, finely grind the cashews. Heat the oil in a large skillet. Add the cardamom, cinnamon, bay leaf and peppercorns and cook over moderate heat until sizzling, about 2 minutes. Add the Ginger Paste and Garlic Paste and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the Onion Paste, green chile and cashews and cook for 1 minute. Add the tomato and cook until the liquid evaporates, about 2 minutes. Add the chicken, garam masala and saffron and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring, until fragrant and the chicken turns white, about 3 minutes. Add the yogurt and bring to a simmer, then cover and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is cooked through, about 50 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and serve.
A tangy, medium-bodied Alsace white blend with no oak will blend with the yogurt and highlight the spices here. Pick an example with body and richness.