Chicken Salad with Piquillo Dressing
- TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
Chef Way Seamus Mullen slowly poaches chicken in a broth made with chicken stock, white wine and vegetables. He tosses the meat with salad greens, fingerling potatoes, carrot ribbons and Spanish Arbequina olives, which can be hard to find.
Easy Way Roast the chicken in the oven instead of poaching it, and combine it with red-skinned potatoes and ubiquitous kalamata olives.
- 4 boneless chicken breast halves with skin (about 2 pounds)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 12 ounces red-skinned potatoes, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup jarred piquillo peppers (4 ounces)
- 1 small garlic clove
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup pitted kalamata olives, sliced
- 1 carrot, shaved into ribbons with a vegetable peeler
- 12 ounces mesclun (4 packed cups)
- Preheat the oven to 425°. Season the chicken with salt and pepper. In a large ovenproof skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil over moderately high heat. Add the chicken skin side down and cook until very lightly browned, about 3 minutes. Turn the chicken skin side up and transfer the skillet to the oven; roast the chicken for about 10 minutes, until it is cooked through. Transfer the roasted chicken to a work surface and let cool.
- Meanwhile, bring a medium saucepan of salted water to a boil. Add the potatoes and cook until tender, about 10 minutes. Drain the potatoes and let cool.
- In a blender, combine the piquillo peppers with the garlic, vinegar, honey and lemon juice and puree until very smooth. With the machine on, add the remaining 1/4 cup of olive oil in a thin stream and blend until the dressing is emulsified. Season the dressing with salt and pepper.
- Discard the chicken skin and thinly slice the breasts crosswise. In a large bowl, toss the chicken with the potatoes, olives and carrot and toss with the dressing. Add the mesclun, toss gently and serve.
Bright, nutty Manzanilla Sherry.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.