- 5 thyme sprigs
- 3 sage sprigs
- 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 cups chicken stock or low-sodium broth
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 4 carrots, cut into 1/2-inch-thick rounds
- 1 leek, white and light green parts only, finely chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 celery ribs, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 pound cremini mushrooms, quartered
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound fingerling potatoes, halved
- 4 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 3 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup fresh or frozen peas
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn kernels (from 1 cob)
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for greasing
- 11 ounces light multigrain bread, cut into 1-inch cubes (6 cups)
- 4 ounces potato chips (7 cups), broken into pieces
- 33 Ritz crackers, broken into pieces
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon thyme leaves, plus more for garnish
- 2 tablespoons chopped sage
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1/2 cup chicken stock or low-sodium broth
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- Poached eggs, chopped thyme and parsley, and grated lemon zest, for serving
How to make this recipe
- Make the Chicken Stew Using kitchen twine, tie the thyme and sage sprigs into a bundle. Turn a 6- to 6 1/2-quart slow cooker to low and set the timer for 5 hours and 15 minutes.
- Make the Chicken Stew Add the butter and cover until the butter melts. Stir in the flour and mix with a wooden spoon until well incorporated and a paste forms. Stir in the chicken stock and half-and-half, cover and cook for 5 minutes. Whisk the mixture until smooth. Add the herbs, then add the next 9 ingredients, up to and including the salt. Cover and cook for 4 hours, stirring after 2 hours.
- Make the Chicken Stew Stir in the chicken, peas and corn. Cover and cook until the chicken is white throughout, about 1 hour and 15 minutes. Discard the herb bundle. Season the stew with pepper.
- Meanwhile, Make the Crust Preheat the oven to 375°. Lightly oil a baking sheet. In a food processor, pulse the bread cubes until coarse crumbs form. Transfer to a large bowl. Add the potato chips and Ritz crackers to the processor and pulse until coarse crumbs form; add to the bowl. Stir in the 1/4 cup of oil and all of the remaining ingredients except the poached eggs and garnishes. Spread the mixture on the prepared baking sheet and pat it out to an even 1/4-inch layer with your fingertips. Bake until golden and crisp, about 45 minutes. Transfer to a rack and let cool. Break into 3-by-3-inch pieces.
- Meanwhile, Make the Crust Serve the chicken stew in bowls, each topped with a poached egg and a piece of crust. Garnish with thyme, parsley and lemon zest.
The crust can be stored in an airtight container for 1 day. Rewarm in a 350° oven until crisp.
Ripe, apple-inflected Chardonnay.