- 1 1/2 cups cornmeal
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- Kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 cups well-shaken buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large shallot, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 large carrot, cut into chunks
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup chicken stock or low-sodium broth
- 1/2 cup shredded rotisserie chicken
How to make this recipe
Make the cornbread
In a bowl, stir together the cornmeal, flour, 3/4 teaspoon salt, bak-ing powder and baking soda. Whisk the egg and buttermilk into the cornmeal mixture. Fill 12 (1/2-cup) greased muffin tins about 2/3 full with the cornbread batter. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
Make the filling
In a large cast-iron or heavy skillet, heat the oil over medium high heat until hot, then stir in the onion, garlic, carrots, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pep-per. Cook, stirring occasionally, until golden, 8 to 10 minutes. Stir in the flour and cook, until incorporated, about 2 minutes. Pour in the stock and bring to a boil, then stir in the chicken. Season the filling with salt and pepper to taste. Place 2 to 3 tablespoons of the filling over each batter-filled muffin tin.
Bake the muffins until golden around the edges, about 25 minutes.