- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced crosswise
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 3/4 teaspoon chile powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 pounds chicken drumsticks and thighs
- 4 cups chicken stock
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Two 15-ounce cans hominy, drained and rinsed
- 1 pound plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- Hot sauce
- Lime wedges, diced radishes, sliced scallions, shredded romaine, cilantro leaves and tortilla chips, for serving
How to make this recipe
In a large pot, heat 1/4 cup of the oil. Add the yellow onion and cook over moderately high heat, stirring, until beginning to soften, 3 minutes. Stir in the oregano, chile powder and cumin. Add the chicken and stir to coat with the seasonings. Add the chicken stock and 2 cups of water, season with salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Simmer over low heat until the chicken is cooked through, 30 minutes.
Using tongs, transfer the chicken to a plate. Let cool, then coarsely shred the meat; discard the skin and bones. Add the shredded chicken and hominy to the broth and simmer over low heat for 15 minutes; skim any fat.
In a bowl, toss the tomatoes, red onion, lime juice and the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil. Season the salsa with salt and hot sauce.
Serve the <em>posole</em> with the salsa, limes, radishes, scallions, romaine, cilantro and chips.
The posole can be refrigerated for up to 3 days.
One serving 413 cal, 28 gm carb, 20 gm fat, 3.8 gm sat fat, 31 gm protein, 5 gm fiber.
Crisp, green apple-scented Chardonnay.