- ACTIVE: 30 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 8
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 5 red bell peppers, cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 2 large white onions, halved lengthwise and thickly sliced crosswise
- 8 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon fennel seeds, coarsely chopped
- One 28-ounce can peeled Italian tomatoes, drained and chopped
- 1/2 cup Peppadew peppers (4 ounces), sliced (see Note)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 whole chickens (4 pounds each), cut into wings, thighs, drumsticks and breasts
- Preheat the oven to 350° and set a rack in the center. In a very large skillet, heat the olive oil. Add the bell peppers and onions and stir until coated with olive oil. Cover and cook over high heat, stirring occasionally, until the peppers and onions are slightly softened, about 8 minutes. Stir in the garlic and fennel seeds and cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add the tomatoes and Peppadews and season with salt and pepper. Pour the contents of the skillet into a large roasting pan.
- Season the chicken all over with salt and pepper and arrange the pieces skin-side up in the roasting pan. Roast for about 45 minutes, until the chicken is tender and cooked through. Turn on the broiler and broil the chicken for about 10 minutes, until the skin is browned and crisp. Transfer the chicken to a platter.
- Set the roasting pan over 2 burners and cook over high heat until the pan juices are reduced slightly, 7 to 8 minutes. Spoon the vegetables and juices into a deep platter, arrange the chicken on top and serve.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.