© Quentin Bacon
Chicken Parmesan with Pepperoni
- ACTIVE: 30 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 45 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
Chef Bryan Vietmeier of Seattle's Take 5 Urban Market merges two American favorites here: chicken parm and pepperoni.
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups panko (Japanese bread crumbs), finely crushed in a food processor
- Four 8-ounce skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, pounded 3/4 inch thick
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- 1 1/2 cups tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- 2 ounces sliced pepperoni
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Preheat the oven to 450°. In a pie plate, beat the eggs with the milk. Spread the flour and panko in 2 separate pie plates. Season the chicken all over with salt and pepper and dust in the flour. Dip the chicken in the egg mixture and then in the panko; press to help the crumbs adhere.
- In a large skillet, heat the oil until shimmering. Add the chicken and fry over moderately high heat, turning once, until cooked through, about 7 minutes. Drain the chicken on paper towels, then transfer to a rimmed baking sheet. Top the chicken with the tomato sauce, Parmigiano, mozzarella and pepperoni.
- Bake the chicken for about 15 minutes, until the cheese is melted and bubbling. Transfer the chicken to plates, sprinkle with the parsley and serve.
Black cherryscented Dolcetto d'Alba from Piedmont.