- 1/4 cup sake
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup raw sugar
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons mirin
- 1 pound coarsely ground chicken
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 medium shallot, minced
- Finely grated zest of 1 yuzu or lemon
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
How to make this recipe
- In a saucepan, combine the sake, soy sauce, sugar and 1/4 cup of the mirin; boil until reduced to 3/4 cup, 3 minutes. Let cool.
- Preheat the oven to 375°. In a bowl, combine the chicken, salt, shallot, zest and the remaining 2 tablespoons of mirin. Lightly coat a rimmed baking sheet with 1 teaspoon of the oil. Form the chicken mixture into 24 meatballs. Brush the meatballs with the remaining 2 teaspoons of oil and arrange them on the baking sheet. Bake for about 6 minutes, until the meatballs are barely cooked through.
- Light a grill. Thread the meatballs onto 8 bamboo skewers and grill over moderately high heat, turning, until lightly charred, about 2 minutes. Reduce the heat to low and brush the meatballs with the sauce. Grill, turning and brushing, until glazed, 30 seconds longer. Serve with the remaining sauce.
Yuzu or lemon wedges.
Juicy, light-bodied red wine.