- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons mirin
- 5 garlic cloves—2 crushed, 3 minced
- One 2-inch piece of fresh ginger, thinly sliced, plus 1 1/2 tablespoons minced ginger
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 4 white button mushrooms, chopped
- 2 1/2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken thighs, chopped into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon shiro (white) miso
- 2 tablespoons untoasted sesame oil or vegetable oil, plus more for brushing
- 3 scallions, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 12 shishito peppers (see Note)
How to make this recipe
In a small saucepan, combine the soy sauce, mirin, crushed garlic cloves, sliced ginger and sugar. Cook over moderate heat until slightly reduced, about 5 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a food processor, pulse the mushrooms until minced; transfer to a bowl. Pulse the chicken until very finely chopped; add to the bowl. Add the miso, 2 tablespoons of oil, the scallions, minced garlic and ginger, salt and pepper to the chicken and mushrooms and mix well.
In a small nonstick skillet, cook one-third of the chicken mixture over moderate heat, stirring, just until the meat is no longer pink, 2 minutes. Let cool slightly, then mix the cooked chicken back into the raw mixture until blended.
Form the meat into twelve 1/4-cup oval patties, about 3/4 inch thick. Thread two meatballs and 2 shishito peppers onto each of 6 skewers. Transfer the skewers to a baking sheet and refrigerate for at least 15 minutes.
Light a grill or preheat a grill pan; oil the grate. Brush the meatballs and peppers with oil and grill, turning once and basting with the sauce, until lightly charred and cooked through, 4 minutes per side. Serve warm.
Shishito peppers are available at farmer's markets.