Chicken Meatball-and-Orzo Soup
- TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
- 1 cup orzo
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large garlic clove, very finely chopped
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 pound fresh chicken sausage, such as sweet Italian, casings discarded and meat rolled into twenty 1-inch meatballs
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- One 5-ounce bag baby spinach (5 cups)
- In a large saucepan of boiling salted water, cook the orzo until it is al dente, about 8 minutes. Drain and rinse the orzo under cold water until cool.
- Meanwhile, in a medium soup pot, heat the olive oil until shimmering. Add the chicken meatballs and cook over moderately high heat until they are lightly browned, about 4 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the meatballs to a plate. Add the garlic to the pot and cook over moderate heat until lightly golden, about 1 minute. Add the chicken broth, bring to a simmer and season with salt and pepper. Add the meatballs to the broth and simmer until they are cooked through, about 3 minutes.
- Add the baby spinach and cooled orzo to the simmering broth and cook, stirring, until the spinach is wilted and the soup is piping hot, about 1 minute. Ladle the meatball-and-orzo soup into shallow bowls and serve.
Bright, citrusy Pinot Grigio from northern Italy's Alto Adige region.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.