- 1 stick plus 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 pound chicken livers, trimmed
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 medium red onion, diced
- 4 thyme sprigs
- Twenty 1/4-inch-thick warm baguette toasts
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for brushing
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- Shallot Jam
How to make this recipe
In a large skillet, melt 2 tablespoons of the butter. Season the livers with salt and pepper. Cook over high heat until browned, 2 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate.
Melt 2 tablespoons of the butter in the skillet. Add the onion and thyme and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until the onion is softened, 10 minutes. Add the livers and cook, stirring, until heated through, 2 minutes; let cool. Discard the thyme. In a food processor, puree the livers and the remaining 6 tablespoons of butter until smooth. Strain through a fine sieve and season well with salt. Press plastic wrap onto the surface and refrigerate until chilled.
Brush the warm toasts with oil, rub with garlic and spread the liver mousse on top. Garnish with the Shallot Jam and serve.