- ACTIVE: 45 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR 15 MIN
- SERVINGS: Makes 40 hors d'oeuvres
- 1/2 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons finely grated fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 40 chicken livers, trimmed (1 1/4 pounds)
- 20 whole water chestnuts, drained and halved crosswise
- 20 slices bacon (1 pound), halved crosswise
- In a medium bowl, mix the soy sauce with the ginger, brown sugar and crushed red pepper until the sugar is dissolved. Add the chicken livers and water chestnuts and toss to coat. Refrigerate for 30 minutes. Drain well and pat dry.
- For each rumaki, lay a halved slice of bacon on a work surface. Set a chicken liver and a halved water chestnut on the bacon and roll up. Secure with a toothpick.
- In a large skillet, cook the rumaki in 2 batches over moderately high heat until the bacon is brown and crisp all over and the chicken liver is cooked, about 5 minutes per side. Drain on paper towels and serve hot.
Make Ahead The rumaki can be assembled up to 1 day in advance.