- ACTIVE: 30 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR
- SERVINGS: Makes about 32 crostini
This is a simple, classic Florentine chicken-liver pâté, which can be prepared in a coarse or smooth style. To make the rustic recipe here more elegant, Marco Canora suggests processing the cooked livers until very smooth, spreading the pâté in ramekins and topping it with a layer of chicken fat.
- 1 pound chicken livers
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 white onion, finely chopped
- 2 sage sprigs
- 1 rosemary sprig
- 1 anchovy fillet, minced
- 1 tablespoon drained capers
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup cognac
- 1 large baguette, thinly sliced
- Trim the chicken livers of any sinews and veins and set them on paper towels to dry for about 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350°. In a large skillet, melt the butter in 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Add the chopped onion, sage and rosemary and cook over moderately high heat, stirring occasionally, until the onion is softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the minced anchovy and capers and cook over low heat until the onion is lightly browned, about 8 minutes longer. Scrape the mixture into a medium bowl.
- Add the remaining 3 tablespoons of olive oil to the skillet. Season the chicken livers with salt and pepper, add them to the skillet and cook over high heat until browned, about 2 minutes. Flip and cook the chicken livers for 1 minute longer. Stir in the onion mixture. Add the cognac and carefully ignite it with a long match. Cook the livers until the flames subside.
- Discard the herb sprigs and scrape the contents of the skillet into a food processor; let cool slightly. Pulse until chunky, then season with salt and pepper.
- Place the baguette slices on a large baking sheet and toast them for about 15 minutes, until they are golden and crisp. Spread the baguette toasts with the chicken liver and serve.
Vernaccia di San Gimignano, a classic Tuscan white, would pair ideally with this classic pâté from Tuscany's capital, Florenceits crisp apple notes are delicious with these earthy chicken livers.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.